Sunday, April 24, 2011

Baby Caterpillars!


Twelve days after the first moth eggs were laid, the caterpillars emerged. We started feeding them tulip popular and sweet gum, and then switched to sassafras since they didn't seem to be eating. They look like they are happy with the sassafras. Here is a picture of the caterpillars as they came out of their eggs.

Three days later, 70 more caterpillars emerged from eggs that had been laid by another moth. We have a lot of baby moth mouths to feed! Would anyone like to adopt a caterpillar or two or three......? They are sooooo cute!

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Ava! Do you think you'll give any of them names? How long will it take them to grow up into butterflies?

    I miss you Ava and can't wait until I see you again sometime! I love you, sweetheart!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I did name one of them Penelope, but I can't figure out which one she is. They should be fully grown by late summer when they will make their cocoon.

    I miss you too! Love....Ava

    ReplyDelete