Sunday, April 10, 2011

Morning Walk at Gator Pond


I got up at 7:15 in the morning at Gator Pond. When I walked out on the porch, I found my Dad making a squirrel trap. We decided to take a morning walk to the pond. We went down the road where our house will be one day and a big tree had fallen across the road because of the recent prescribed burn and storm. So Daddy cut some branches and mowed a path right by something he did not even see. We walked down the new path that Daddy had made and in the bushes.................


Guess what I saw..............


Coral Honeysuckle!!!!!!


Coral honeysuckle is a native plant in our area. The honeysuckle you probably have seen is an invasive honeysuckle from Japan. The coral honeysuckle flower is a pink tube-like shape with yellow frills on the ends of it. See my drawing above of a coral honeysuckle and other plants and animals. See if you can find a cottontail rabbit, coachwhip snake, green anole, deer, hummingbird, turkey oak, coral honeysuckle, wild indigo, fringe tree and an ant bed with one ant. Also see if you can find these invasive plants in the drawing that we try not to have at Gator Pond: Japanese honeysuckle, privet, mimosa, popcorn tree, and cogon grass.

2 comments:

  1. Ava, I enjoyed reading your blog! You are very talented and I think it is great that you share this with all of us. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your next one.

    Love...Pappaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pappaw. I love you.

    Love....Ava

    ReplyDelete